On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 11:59, Robert Lunnon wrote:
> Having thought about my recent dialogue about CDROM door locking it occurs to
> me that we really have two different classes of users with different
> requirements. It then occurred to me that perhaps the behaviour of the CDROM
> should be determined by the "Role" the workstation is playing. For example if
> the role is "workstation" then the user should be allowed to eject the cd at
> any time and the eject facility on the CDROM drive should not be disabled.
> Whereas if the role is multiuser focused (eg server or say terminal server)
> then the CD door should be locked when it is busy.
>
> There are probably dozens of other instances like this where behaviour should
> be tailored to role. Perhaps we need to consider infrastructure to do this.

We have most of that already between logindevperm and RBAC.

cdrw(1) uses RBAC authorisations to determine if the user can
write to CDs since the device nodes are still owned by root and
cdrw(1) is setuid.

You could instead use logindevperm to assign ownership of the
device nodes to the user who logged in on /dev/console - as we do
for audio and usb mass storage devices.  However this is slightly
tricker for CD/DVD writers as the device node alone doesn't tell
you what it is.

--
Darren J Moffat