The stroke of the paintbrush is not so easily done in
explaination of Blastwave and KDE (other package
management schemes). I can easily sit here and ask
where else can I find Scribus or FlightGear (not to
get too far off topic) other than Blastwave?!?

1. Blastwave has a build model for developers
contained mostly to /opt/csw. The attempt is not to
modify a standard installation of Solaris at the risk
of breaking other things. Also, Sun may have added
patches or 'tweaks' to code which is not known to
other people (hence, freetype at the time and other
things I'm finding out).

2. We say integrate, yet we did things different 1-4
years ago for a reason - mainly from community
suggestions. KDE-gcc (me) and KDE-Sun Studio (Stefan)
was a bit of a debate a few years ago as people wanted
a GCC version of KDE since Sun Studio wasn't free
until just a few months ago. We requested updates to
the KDE version on the Companion CD for three years
but was told it was unsupported. So, a few people got
together and built solaris.kde.org (KDE for Solaris).
Also, Blastwave's KDE was to support all SPARC V8 and
even sun4m (non-UltraSPARC) platforms (as well as all
of the current incarnatons of Sun Solaris official
releases (8/9/10/11)) -while also doing minimum
modifications to the KDE source code. So please, don't
paint everything with the same paintbrush without
knowing all of the details. ;o>

3. As for GNOME, a similar thing happened in people
wanting the latest version of GNOME - yet we only had
GNOME 2.0 back then and JDS was mainly for Linux.
Also, future support for GNOME >=2.6/2.8 on Solaris
8/9 got 'scrapped' officially (as far as I knew) so
again, some community developers/maintainers got
together and ported the latest GNOME to Solaris. JDS
then got ported over for Solaris 10 (but not Solaris
8/9), so again the community tried to provide GNOME
(and KDE) for sun4m users as well as Solaris 8->11
users.

4. As for OpenGL on Solaris x86, and many other
packages and ports done by many people and not just
Blastwave either, we have good reasons why things were
done the way it has been done. Not that it was right,
but it got the job done.

Freetype 2.1.10 wasn't available on Solaris 8/9 when I
ported it over. It also wasn't available on
Sunfreeware or the Companion CD - when I ported it.
The community had a major issue over freetype's
backward compatibility - even within Xfree/Xorg and
the font handling. If I needed KDE 3.5 or GNOME 2.12.2
today, where else can I find it but through the KDE
for Solaris community project??? So, there are many
questions and solutions that we need to answer for the
rest of the community.

5. As for the Community CD, well why not ask people to
volunteer to update parts of it which get merged into
a quarterly release?? We test it beforehand, if it
looks good we release it to the community.

6. Why not create a Janus layer which allows people to
run Debian binaries without modifications??? I see
Nexenta and Belenix seem to be looking into this.
Maybe help Schillix in doing the same thing or at
least getting the Blastwave packages ported to
Schillix and the other distros? Maybe tag a funding
price to what it would take Belenix, Nexenta, and
Schillix to resolve some of their issues ($1K-5K USD).

I think all of the other Solaris package maintainer
groups should be contacted to see if they are still
'standing' and how they'd want to volunteer to help
the cause. Whatever happpened to the NetBSD/Solaris
collaboration effort and the 5000 packages??

The bottom line is to promote JDS and KDE solutions to
the community and provide teams of people willing to
build and port those solutions. I think the desktop
summit had a lot to say about what they wanted to see
in the desktop as well as David's notes on the
OpenSolaris website.

The community wants to see involvement and SUPPORT on
both JDS/GNOME, KDE, Xfce (and put your favorite major
UNIX desktop here). Whether from community groups or
from Sun (which seems to be what started this thread).

Excuse the soapbox rants,

~ Ken Mays

--- Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>