On 1/3/06, David Schanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would imagine that Sun Studio may generate better code for some
> intense computational tasks, and I never claimed it doesn't.  I would
> also imagine that KDE's components do not do any computationally
> intensive tasks.

"i imagine", "i would imagine", "i bet" and "i feel" is not computer science.

having spent daily time since November of 2002 working on KDE Solaris
(back when KDE had given up on KDE with GCC because performance on
SPARC was lousy, and KDE no longer had Solaris builds), i have come to
certain conclusions in regards to GCC vs. Sun Studio performance (or
Forte as it was known back then).

insofar as i am concerned, KDE Solaris with GCC is not going to
happen. every Tom, Dick and Harry can type './configure' followed by
'gmake' and build KDE on their own. my participation in this
collective exercise is neither required, nor necessary.

--Stefan

--
Stefan Teleman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]