OpenSolaris has the lofi(7d) driver that allows you to use a file
in a filesystem as a block device.

Over in the Security Community you will see some info that some of
us have created some crypto support for lofi(7d), though we have
been slack on posting the code.  Belenix has compression support
for lofi(7d) as well.

I'd like to propose an new project so that we can merge both of
these technologies together and integrate them into OpenSolaris
proper.

Project Name:
        loficc [lofi compression & cryptography support ]

Project Description:

Add compression and encryption support to lofi(7d) and lofiadm(1m).

Project alias: yes please <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--
Darren J Moffat