Dennis Clarke wrote:
    (1) Is there a UNIX standard ?  ( this is just yes or no )

no, because there are no UNIX standards.  There are X/Open standards
and IETF standards and SVR4 ABI requirements etc etc etc.

    (2) What is the UNIX standard?

    (3) Do we respect that standard ?  ( Is this a yes or no ? )

I think what you are really getting at is the /opt, /etc/opt,
/var/opt unbundled software layout from SRV4.  They keyword there
is "unbundled".  The stuff in /usr/sfw is NOT unbundled it is
bundled and part of the operating system.  The SRV4 spec didn't
cover "where to place stuff we don't want in the default path because we can't depend on it not chaning in a patch and we don't want customers to depend on it but we ourselves can choose to depend on it if we want to and sometimes do but have "contracts" in place for change control even then.", hence /usr/sfw. Which we know know was a bad idea.

BTW the FHS is practically a total rip off of SRV4 and Solaris did,
especially evident in the "share" directories some that that Sun (IIRC) created for saving diskspace on servers hosting diskless clients of mixed architectures.

--
Darren J Moffat