On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 16:23 -0700, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> However, what I personally would like to see is the same thing I've always
> invisioned from the days of yesteryear...That we could have a full
> distribution that rivaled any of the open source distributions with Solaris
> as our core, rather than Linux (Debian specific, or shall we say apt
> functionality). Who would have thought Solaris would become open sources, the
> thought was laughable 4+ years when the topic surfaced.

OK. Just to prevent an idea of splintering of Debian+OpenSolaris (i.e.
NexentaOS) community. :-) Lets try to avoid a creation of yet another
Debian+OpenSolaris community at the moment. Instead work with Nexenta
guys to implement what you want.

Here is what is going on in NexentaOS camp.

Our package database now contains 3800 Debian packages out of 20000
available. We soon planning automated import-recompile of huge chunk of
missing packages at the point when core "main" packages will be fully
integrated. The process could be monitored[6]. It might happen with
Alpha 5 release, but nobody knows at this point.

Last month we made significant progress with Debian/Ubuntu communities
cooperation. With Debian we are pushing[1] "solaris-<i386,sparc>"
architecture upstream for dpkg, apt-get, debhelper, debianutils, etc.

With Ubuntu we are sharing the same web-portal to track
cross-distro-bugs[2]. Launchpad has 300.000+ registered users and
developers which contributes to Ubuntu community. Launchpad trying to
coordinate development efforts among various distributions.

With Ubuntu we are initiated SMFication project[3] which intention to
come up with database of manifests script for Ubuntu(and eventually
Debian) packages. The project found a warm support from Ubuntu
developers community[4]. The was a proposal to come up with GNU/Linux
SMF port.

Join[5] Debian+OpenSolaris community today and help us to build a distro
of your dream!

[2] https://launchpad.net/distros/nexenta
[3] https://launchpad.net/projects/smf-nexenta
[4] http://archives.free.net.ph/thread/20060414.201222.b0bd44c4.en.html