Hello Philip,

PB> On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 03:35:52AM +0200, Robert Milkowski wrote:
>>
>> Saturday, April 15, 2006, 2:27:45 AM, PB writes...
>>
>> PB> Basically, blastwave packages are set up to be binary distributions, not
>> PB> developer distributions.
>> PB> If you want to compile other stuff against our packages, you are
>> encouraged
>> PB> to become a maintainer and add to the collection, using our nice clean
>> PB> build servers ;-)
>>
>> Sorry, internal software only.

PB> fair enough...

>> [...]
>>
>> What if I want to compile our own software linked with Solaris OpenSSL
>> (to get Niagara HW acceleration for example) and linked with other
>> open source libraries provided by Blastwave? What if then these
>> libraries depend on openssl provided by Blastwave... and things get
>> messy here.

PB> That does indeed get messy.But the thing is... in a way, this is sun's
PB> fault :-) it should provide patches to openssl to enable niagra
PB> acceleration, and then blastwave can use those patches, and then blastwave
PB> ssl will have that acceleration too.

PB> [really, it should give the patches to openssl.org. but barring that,
PB>  it would be nice to see a patch set just posted somewhere, like
PB>   opensolaris.org]

http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/common/openssl/

?

Then Blastwave's OpenSSL is compilled without frame pointers which
makes using DTrace harder...

And I don't know who's fault it is - the point is that Blastwave is
not always a best choice and some kind of competition won't hurt it.
Then I like to have an access to sources (and all things I need to
compile given application the same way it was compiled - I don't know
how it looks right now but it wasn't possible with Blastwave).

ps. and hey, Blastwave is great anyway!

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]