On Wednesday 19 April 2006 04:25 pm, Eric Boutilier wrote:
> I'm not sure if that's what Alan is pushing for or not, but one things
> for sure: It seems way more logical to speculate that a significant
> percentage of volunteers in such an endeavor would be Sun employees as
> well as non-Sun employees.

I'm absolutely sure I wasn't and in fact I think I wanted to work with the
community and to have the same sources for Sun and the Community with a
common set of libs for all interested parties to use. I don't see how that is
only trying to meet the community needs. Phil lost me on that one.

> When it comes to an un-supported-by-Sun set of freeware, I see
> absolutely no reason to have a Sun-blessed -- as opposed to
> community-blessed -- set of freeware.

I see no reason either, and I would make that one of my points, that I more so
want one common set for all to use, Sun included.

> I think it's important here not to miss the important boundry between
> un-supported-by-Sun freeware (CCD, blastwave, etc.) and Sun-supported
> freeware (SFW, JDS, X, etc).  With that in mind, the thing I think
> (FWIW) we need is this:  an un-supported-by-Sun freeware set that also
> serves as a "bullpen" for stuff to be migrated to Sun-supported freeware
> -- e.g. migration to the SFW, JDS, or X, consolidations. (With the
> volunteers who are working the bullpen coming from, as I said, Sun as
> well as non-Sun ranks.)
>
> Maybe this new "bullpen" project needs to be built on the CSW project,
> maybe the CCD project, maybe the JDS (spec-files-extra) project, maybe
> something else, maybe a hybrid...
>
> In any case, I'm really looking forward to that being figured out ASAP.

I think I'm on the same page with you Eric, and I am interested in trying to
get the various people to at least lay out their needs and/or to work with
Sun to figure out how that can be accomplished.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering