Joerg Schilling wrote:
Menno Lageman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Indeed, setting it to 2 increases build time to almost 4 hours. I need to take back my statement that increasing max jobs to 32 doesn't decrease build time though (must have loked at the wrong logfile):

        jobs    time
        4       2:26
        8       2:01
        16      1:54
        32      1:53

Whether jobs > 8 help to increase the speed also deepends on whether
there is a need to spend time in cache syncs. It seems that you get advantages as long as you stay <= the number of CPUs while time-slicing a
CPU does not help.

The number of jobs to run depends on both the speed of the
CPUs and the IO bandwidth of the machine, and the design of the
Makefiles since dmake doesn't really limit itself to the
specified number of jobs.

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts