David J. Orman wrote:
They did make the final decision last year.

The process did start in autumn 2000 when the Linux Verband
Deutschland"did aproach the OFD Niedersachsen and did tell them
that Sun will shut down
Solaris x86 support. The final convincing work did start in autumn
2004.This is wy I did aproach Sun marketing at that time when I was
in Menlo Park.

That's really, and I mean REALLY dirty. What an absolute shame, especially with the cause being such disgusting actions on the part of LVD. :(

We need to be fair here.  Sun did "defer" Solaris for x86 in 2002.  We
didn't really get it fully back on track until Solaris 10 in 2005.  So even in
late 2004 all a customer had from us was statements of intent, not an
actual product.
>From the information I have, the final decision must have been
made recently.

Yarr, let's loot and ransack LVD! In all seriousness, I hope now with larger community involvement we can spot FUD campaigns like this one before they become successful, and Sun can intervene.

If someone tries something like this now, it would in fact be FUD and we could
vigorously combat it.  We couldn't do that prior to the release of Solaris 10, and
to some extent even OpenSolaris.

There is no question Sun made mistakes that we're still trying to recover from.

    Regards,

    Glenn
--
Glenn Weinberg
Vice President, Operating Platforms Group

Sun Microsystems, Inc.
17 Network Circle, MS UMPK17-301
Menlo Park, CA 94025 US
Phone x86207/+1 650 786 6207