> Let's be even more realistic then -- those people should not be programming then, period.

Those people could be students who may be writing their first program...
Or scientists who cares about the result and not the process...
At any rate, I woudn't blame them, instead I would greatly appreciate
what they doing at their free time.

You're kidding me.
I'm sorry for the kid's bad code, but it's not very likely I'm going to be appreciative of fixing some clueless kid's mess because s/he's learning how to program wrongly. At that price, I might just as well go and write the specification, and implement the thing myself.

a) it will be done properly
b) there will be quality control
c) there will be documentation

Much better then fixing some kid's code, while s/he informs me via e-mail that s/he "can't" support Solaris because s/he "only has Linux".

The right thing to do here is to teach the kid how to do it properly, or steer him/her in the right direction.