On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 07:26:13AM -0700, Tom Smith wrote:
> Hi.  I've been thinking about building a SOHO NAS project using ZFS as
> some others have suggested doing but I'm curious how lightweight I can make
> Solaris (from a processor, memory, and install disk space) perspective and
> still have decent performance for a home file server.  If I took some time
> to strip out all the unneeded parts of the system, leaving just enough to
> run ZFS, a web console, Samba, and the basic kernel functions, what minimum
> requirements do you think would be needed?

If you're really really abusive, I mean, agrresive in your pruning :-) you
can get the bytes for "running solaris" down to about 100 MB on disk.
(this consists of doing a "core install", then pkgrm'ing stuff, and then
 beyond that, actually using "rm -r".
 but since it's a fileserver, you're probably not going to be short
 on disk space)

you can also get the in-memory footprint down to about 64megs of RAM.
this should be way under your requirements. It should be trivial to get a
cheap "small" machine that has a 1ghz cpu with 128megs RAM, and that should
be more than plenty for your needs.

btw: running a "web console" + samba tends to spike your needs, though. 128
megs RAM will probably be minimal.