(forgive me for changing the order of quotes a bit, but I think it makes
 sense, and still keeps original intentions...)

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 04:52:48PM -0700, Erast Benson wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 16:33 -0700, Philip Brown wrote:

> > Nothing says that opensolaris has to have "source packages".

> A missing capability of having source package reduces community
> involvement in development of a package. In Nexenta/Debian you can do:
>
> apt-get source gnome-panel
>
> than fix, rebuild and re-upload to "unstable" APT repository.

for starters, the general community doesnt need to be able to
"re-upload to unstable". Only maintainers do :-)

But more importantly:

The critical thing here, is to have SOME kind of auto-(re)build mechanism.
(and ideally, attempted-auto-update mechanism)
Whether or not that is done by "packages", is irrelevant.

debian source packages are one way of doing it. it works. but it's not the
only way that can work.