* Glynn Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-11-29 20:16]:
> Stephen Hahn wrote:
> > * Cyril Plisko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-11-29 12:35]:
> >> Do we have any estimation on how long will it take
> >> to have a normal b.o.o ? I mean the one that community
> >> can make real use of ? With all due respect and appreciation
> >> of Linda's and others work I think that resources are poured
> >> in wrong direction - community needs a full blown CR
> >> tracking system, rather than another way to peek into
> >> a subset of the Sun' internal tool.
> >> I understand the complexity of the task and long reaching
> >> implications of such a move, but that is something that
> >> needs to be done.
> >
> >   My answers will be unsatisfactory, I fear.
> >
> >   We definitely don't have a time estimate.  The issue (as I see it) is
> >   more one of changing the current internal-only tool to a tool that all
> >   contributors/participants can utilize.  There are exploratory
> >   discussions in this area, in which OpenSolaris possesses but one seat
> >   at the table.  So, at least for a while, we will continue to fund
> >   improvements in b.o.o while the larger discussions are proceeding.
>
> Would the estimate be any shorter if we picked an active Sun developer and put
> him outside for the SWAN for week and see how he coped? ;)
>
> I'd volunteer myself, but I suspect it wouldn't have the same impact as an ON
> developer.

  I think the impact would be equivalent; pain to contributors (and I
  know it is severe, and we are trying to alleviate it) is not the
  factor that causes the lack of an estimate.  My belief regarding
  product defect access via b.o.o is that we should make certain that
  the priority list we give on the query side and on the
  modification/submissions side are addressing the real contributor
  issues.

  - Stephen

--
Stephen Hahn, PhD  Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://blogs.sun.com/sch/