Given a limited menu of just those two choices, and the use of the
CDDL for the rest of OpenSolaris, the choice was obvious: BSD is
compatible with CDDL, GPLv2 isn't.

Under those conditions, who made the decision seems to me to be
little more than PR.

I don't know the history of the porting work for this particular
putback.  But if it was something that Sun did internally and then
"threw over the wall", then I don't see why it shouldn't be their
choice (and perhaps even would have to be their responsibility)
rather than that of some OpenSolaris related body (esp. since
the latter may not have a bunch of its own lawyers, and may or
may not even be presently equipped or allowed to make that
sort of decision, let alone reasonably quickly).

The added copyright notice (presumably for what was unique to the
[Open]Solaris port) was Sun's, not that of Joe (or Jill) Contributor.
To my way of thinking, that's yet another reason why it was legitimate
for it to be Sun's decision which license to use.

Had the work been done by an outside contributor, it would have been
their decision (rather than the CAB/OGB/whatever).  As far as I can
see, only if the copyright was assigned to some OpenSolaris related
entity (not unlike how the FSF likes to have copyright assigned to it
for GPL code meant to be regarded as part of the GNU project) would
such choices be up to that entity.  The FSF is a non-profit corporation;
AFAIK, neither the OGB nor anything else with a uniquely OpenSolaris
but not Sun identity is an actual legal entity, able to hold copyrights
(and thus choose licenses).

Further, the OpenSolaris charter
(http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/cab/charter.pdf)
(which is _not_ superceded by the upcoming OpenSolaris Constitution)
says in part:

However, nothing in this charter shall be construed so as to confer to the
OGB: (a) any title or right under copyright, patent, trademark, or other
intellectual property law; (b) control of or interest in any asset,
tangible or intangible, of Sun Microsystems, Inc. or any of its
subsidiaries; (c) control of or interest in Sun Microsystems, Inc. or any
of its subsidiaries.

So while I recognize the sensitivities you're alluding to, I don't see that
there's any
way that anything other than what was done could have been done.

IANAL, of course.