Alan DuBoff wrote:
For me the big difference is the fact that GPLv3 will remove the grey area of device drivers and linking with the kernel, not that these are an issue, it's never been take to and proven in court either way. I'm *HOPING* that GPLv3 would remove that problem and allow all code to be used however the systems should use it.

I actually think it makes it MUCH more complex.

It was possible *before* OpenSolaris to write and legally ship a GPLv2 device driver for Solaris if you stuck to the DDI. This is really no different that writing a GPLv2 application that uses a closed source libc.

It is still possible today.

Today it is possible to do more with the CDDL because you can now "share" code with other drivers and be "fully" open source or just use individual files from them (and publish your changes if you make any) and keep other bits closed if you wish.

I think GPLv3 will make this MUCH harder to understand, and a dual licensed GPLv3 and CDDL kernel makes this near impossible to understand for developers.

Remember most people here are not trained lawyers or even have a huge amount of formal exposer to the legal issues of derived works and dual licensing. Lets keep things SIMPLE for the developers. CDDL is a good solution for that - it makes it clear for every single file which license it is under (just like the BSD license did).

--
Darren J Moffat