[...]
> and yes .. I'm frustrated that a whack of Linux
> community people never
> showed up.  IBM people are not here.  That the mail
> lists are full of
> Sun.COM email addresses and people internal with
> internal agenda's etc etc.
> A lot of things just seem behind closed doors still.

Don't forget the Tadpole guy that _is_ here; I think I saw someone
from Fujitsu, too.  There are some (if not a lot) of people who've
worked with and contributed to Linux here.  And do you have access
to the registration information, such that you _know_ there's nobody
from IBM here?  What about Apple porting DTrace (and according to
some rumors, working on zfs) to MacOS X?  What about the zfs to FreeBSD
port? What about various drivers whose starting points have come from one
or more of the *BSDs?  What about increasing amount of external open source
software available for Solaris, both via Sun and via your efforts?  What about
the two AT&T ksh guys participating in the ksh93 integration project?
What about the deal with Intel?

Having said that, I do agree with some things you've said.  Sun's
marketing department needs a major overhaul; anyone that thinks
that changing the name of products every couple of years or other
such shell games (which although not marketing's fault, dual-licensing
also is  _unless_ clear benefits can be identified) is worse than useless,
insofar as renaming for anything less than a total rewrite simply
distracts and confuses, and done repeatedly, wastes credibility.

As to whether there _would_be_ clear benefits to dual-licensing, I think
that needs (a) wait to see exactly what GPLv3 would look like, (b) identify
what those benefits might be and how they might work (keeping in mind
that _just_ seeking acceptance is a defensive position at best) and how likely
they are to work, (c) take into account any downside of a dual-license
arrangement,
and (d) reach out to not only the OpenSolaris community, but also the Linux and
FSF folks
(between which there may be a split between GPLv2 _only_ or GPLv2 _or_later_),
the
*BSD folks, Apple, Tadpole, Fujitsu, IBM, NCR (if they're still doing anything
with Solaris),
Dell (if they give a darn), and anyone else that has an interest that might be
mutually
beneficial, to get some idea what their reactions to a dual-license arrangement
might be.
Also, as has been pointed out elsewhere in the thread, and look at other cases
of dual-licensing
and to see what benefits vs problems they've encountered (and don't forget perl
as
a possibly successful counter-example to claims that other dual-license
arrangements
have had their problems).

All of that, and probably more, is needed to get a big enough picture to decide
realistically
what the benefits might be.

Now just perhaps, that's been happening; and maybe the talk and hype has been
in part to
get more people thinking about it.  So maybe when GPLv3 is finalized, there
will be
enough information to talk about this intelligently.  Until then, while plenty
of points can
be raised, I don't think there's much use in staking out strong pro or con
positions.