Alan Burlison wrote On 02/01/07 09:11,:
Erast Benson wrote:

Isn't the fact that after almost 2 years of existence we still
considered a minority community with almost zero participation from the
outside not a proof that something wrong and needs to be fixed?

Considered a "minority community" by who? And based on what timeframe and measurement mechanism? Sorry, I don't agree with this line of thinking at all because it's pejorative. We are young, we are building, and we are growing. And this is not a problem, no.

Is there something wrong with my kid because she can't speak in fluent English and Japanese sentences yet after almost 21 months (though she does understand many of them)? Or is she just where she is because that's life and she'll grow into her new roles over time? I used to build houses, and I know from painful experience that foundations are important. The concrete mix is important, too. And footings even more important. And the ground supporting the footing even more important than that. Get these core things wrong and you building sinks or falls over if you can even build it at all. We are building our community from the ground up. If we want it to last, it will take time. It's just that simple. That's one of the qualities of this project, actually.

No, because I don't agree with your premise that there has been "almost zero participation". For example, the volume & heat on this alias today reminds me of the heady days of perl5-porters - well known in the past for being the abode of Those With Asbestos Undergarments ;-) Just because we are a still relatively small community, it doesn't make us a *dead* community.

I agree. You know, we were criticized greatly before we launched and before there was a real community to point to, but since then the criticisms of the OpenSolaris community have really been quite minor. The code speaks for itself, and the community is growing to the point where people are *very* much noticing what's going on.

Jim