Thanks, John. You have seconds. I'll contact you offline to
get you set up.

Eric

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, John Sonnenschein wrote:
Currently, there is no possible way to build an opensolaris distribution without
including the closed-source libc_i18n.a. What this means is that a traditional
distribution is entirely out of the question. This is entirely unacceptable for a project
which wishes to call itself "Open Source".

I propose that a project be started seeking to re-implement all necessary
functions locked up behind that binary.

I've done a rudimentary count of the work required, and from what I can tell
there's a small number ( 100 - 200 ) utility functions ( wcwidth() for example)
that need a rewrite.

I would prefer if this project be attached to the name of "closed-reimplementation
" or something similar, due to the fact that the primary focus at first will be to
remove libc_i18n.a, and that must be integrated without delay, but ultimately I'd like
for closed bins to disappear completely.