* [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-02-07 09:04]:
> When the community controls this, it will be the community volunteers
> who will carry more of the burden; what we're doing is quite unique:
> continue to develop an OS while opening up the development process
> and the source code management system.  I'm not sure how we could
> approach this much differently.

  I think this point is worth emphasizing:  part of the argument to make
  the source open and the development process open was that the
  development would continue--that we wouldn't stand still on whatever
  base of code we had and all navel-gaze and contemplate perfect tools
  and so forth.  Progress has been made on all of Roy's points, for many
  of the consolidations; some of the slowness have been because of
  mistakes or misinvestments by me, but much of it is because stopping
  development was not considered a serious choice.

  (Put another way:  if you've liked a feature since, oh, onnv_18, you
  probably have unconscious reservations about a 100% focus on culture
  change.)

  - Stephen

--
Stephen Hahn, PhD  Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://blogs.sun.com/sch/