On 02/03/07, Oliver Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I also think that focusing on the Xeon platform alone would be an error. Good
support needs to be there for the Bearlake and Bearlake-X when they arrive, as
well as the Santa Rosa laptop chipset.

Certainly, and I think that will happen. I don't think this project is
in any way implying that other platforms won't be supported, I think
it's just trying to find a specific focus.

The vast majority of people who are interested in running Solaris x86 on
non-Sun hardware will *NOT* be doing it on a Xeon platform. I think it is
important that Xeons are supported, for the corporates and high-end users - but
it is worth remembering that if we need to shell out thousands of
pounds/dollars/euros just to have a system capable of running Solaris x86, we
may as well defect to Linux or BSD now.

I wouldn't be concerned about it though given that SUN engineers have
been very open to working on support for the x86 architecture in
general (Intel and AMD). We can't expect SUN to do everything we want,
the community does need to step up and assist in certain areas too.

--
"Less is only more where more is no good." --Frank Lloyd Wright

Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/