On 06/03/07, Keith M Wesolowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
have very many contributors.  In the long run, this suggests that
per-Community representation may someday be needed a la the United
States Senate.  In the short run, it suggests that some communities
are poorly organised and led, and those communities will be the ones
who are left without a voice, leaving interested parties to petition
for replacement or dissolution of those ineffective communities.

This is something that has concerned me as well. Related to this
particular problem, I think, is also the perception of activity within
the OpenSolaris community as a whole. While having these "separate
communities" makes for a far better signal-to-noise ratio, it also has
the unintended side effect of making some communities appear vibrant
and alive while others do not.

While this may accurately reflect the activity of an individual
community, it can have some unintended consequences. One of those
unintended consequences is that it is much harder to perceive the
level of activity that is occurring within the OpenSolaris community
as a whole since the activity within each community is "filtered" to a
particular level.

With this in mind, it is not surprising, to me, that individuals are
left wondering about their status or role within the community. Some
individuals participate in many different communities on a frequent
basis, but never enough to be "recognized" in any individual one. As a
result, we may miss out on opportunities to recognise people that
bring great value to the OpenSolaris community as a whole because of
the reliance on individual community leadership to provide
recognition. Recent comments regarding "Projects" are a good example
of this particular scenario in my view.

I also completely support the idea of a unified set of contributors.
To me, a contributor is a contributor to the entire OpenSolaris
community and project, not just one part of it. Because of that, I
don't think that a status that affects the community as a whole
(voting, etc.) should be a status granted on a per-community basis. I
also think that listing people as "contributors" in some official
capacity for each specific community will only serve to embitter some
individuals. To me, almost every contributor contributes to every
"individual community" in an indirect fashion. Is the OpenSolaris
community not the result of all contributors instead of a specific
part?

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 09:55:37AM +1300, Glynn Foster wrote:
> While I can appreciate how it on a local level within the various
> OpenSolaris sub-communities, so that you build up a web of trust
> when technical issues need to be tackled, I'm still really
> struggling how it fits with the wider global OpenSolaris

Likewise.  A lot of this depends on exactly what role the OGB will
claim for itself.  The proposed Constitution gives vast, dare I say
unconscionable, power to the OGB and to my way of thinking relies far
too much on the goodness of its members and the vigilance of the
electorate to ensure proper use of that power (rather than placing
stricter limits on the OGB but giving its members greater independence
to act within those limits).  The requirement for such widespread and
intimate participation in government may well turn out to be a serious
handicap in a community in which many or most participants would
rather engineer software, especially if such an unbalanced situation
arises.  That's doubly true given that, so far, the balance of power
is firmly against those who "just want to write code."  If this
situation persists, the OGB may need to consider structural changes to
the Constitution, assuming it's ratified.  What shape those changes
might take would depend on the nature of the imbalance and the
rulemaking areas into which the OGB chooses to wade.

I cannot possibly agree more with this statement. This only further
supports Stephen Lau's post about why the OGB shouldn't be intimately
involved in the day-to-day processes of the community (please read the
full blog post here:
http://whacked.net/2007/02/26/why-i-hope-the-ogb-wont-accomplish-much/).
As an example, I would like to see the OGB not have to be involved in
the recognition of contributors.

As far as the OGB's powers: I think that the OGB's powers should be
limited unless they are acting as an arbiter to resolve conflict, or
to help guide the community to a decision where there is deadlock.

I am heartened to see someone within SUN expressing these concerns
because it continues to prove that people within SUN care very much
about a genuine, vibrant community existing around this project. (Not
that I have ever been given reason to believe otherwise...)

--
"Less is only more where more is no good." --Frank Lloyd Wright

Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/