On 21/03/07, Stefan Teleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Shawn Walker wrote:
> On 21/03/07, Rich Teer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Overwriting the /usr/apache2 that comes on the Solaris media is a no-no,
>> in my opinion, and /usr/apache2.2 just pollutes the /usr namespace even
>> more than it is already.  IMHO, the correct place for this is under /opt.
>> I have no strong feelings either way, but I would prefer /opt/apache2
>> over
>> /opt/apache2.2.
>
> I strongly agree with this particular approach. This makes the
> separation clear and easy.

Please keep in mind that, there are two additional locations for Apache, in
addition to the location of the actual binaries [/{usr,opt}/apache2]:

/etc/apache2
/var/apache2

These additional two locations *must* exist.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that. Apache configuration can
usually be shared between versions (at least within 2.x versions in
this case) without a problem. It is the binaries that are the bigger
issue (in my view).

I never liked the /etc/opt/apache2, and so on that some distributions
did as sometimes it wasn't clear which apache2 read what configuration
from where, it also made greps by lazy admins (like me) painful ;)

--
"Less is only more where more is no good." --Frank Lloyd Wright

Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/