On 12/04/07, N. L. Barna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi friends,

I just received and installed Solaris Express, Developer Edition, and I don't
know what I'm doing.

I'm on an x86 system and converted from XP. Everything seems fine except now I
don't have sound. The sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2. I found this site

http://www.tools.de/opensource/solaris/audio/beta/

for a possible driver (likely audioemu in my case). It says I need to unpack
and download the file with bunzip2, which I didn't think I had so I went to
this site

http://www.bzip.org/downloads.html

and downloaded the source tarball.

The problem is I don't know what I'm doing when I'm "extracting" these things.
When I think I've extracted something, then there are all these files from which I don't
comprehend and so don't know how to execute or install [i]the[/i] program. I'm probably
lost due to my poor conditioning with automated installers.

I deeply appreciate any help.

I suggest using the OpenSound driver instead, not because the one you
have won't work, but because the OpenSound driver has a better mixer,
etc.:

http://www.opensound.com/

Plus, the install is dead easy. It's free for personal use.

As far as decompressing that file, you should be able to do something like:

bzcat filename.tar.bz2 | tar -xf -

--
"Less is only more where more is no good." --Frank Lloyd Wright

Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/