On 4/24/07, Alan Coopersmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Manish Chakravarty wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Could we have XFCE/KDE in the next OpenSolaris build?

OpenSolaris has no builds to include them in - it's a source
base for distros to be built from, and I believe a couple of
the distros already include those.

If you're referring to the Solaris Express Community Edition
ISO's, then you will need to convince Sun to take on the burden
of building, shipping, and supporting them - which at the minimum
will require reviews by the Architecture Review Committee (ARC)
and Sun's Product management committees, which for KDE would
probably take closer to months than the 2 weeks between each build cycle.
(That is not trying to say that there's anything wrong with KDE,
  just that it's a very large body of work to review - the original
  GNOME reviews took many months too.)

or .. for the sake of just "doing it" you could always do a pkg-get -i
xfce and then you have XFCE 4.4.1 but with no support. That's the same
thing you get will almost all the open source GNUish non-OpenSolaris
stuff anyways.

So .. XFCE 4.4.1 will be released from Blastwave in the next few days.
I just have to make some screenshots and write a quick report .. then
its out.  William Bonnet in France did all the hard work on this and
it runs on Solaris 8 and 9 and 10 and should run just fine on the
snv_XX releases from Sun.

Dennis