I have a network attached tape device I built using this board from
Tyan. It is a FlexATX so its quite small (only marginally larger than
a mini-itx) and is dead silent (under 17db) in full operation and
makes use of the newer core 2 chipset (vt-x instruction support) so
vmware would run at near native speeds on it.

http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=181