> So what the hell is going wrong?

PEBKAC problem? (:-)

> I guess it points to dynamic libraries being the
> issue so if so is this a Solaris 10 issue?

Having compiled tons and tons of software on Solaris, I seriously doubt it's a
"Solaris 10 issue".

What I can tell you is that compiling, linking and packaging correctly is not
only a science, it's an art. I'd say your compiling environment is not set up
properly. If it were me I could probably figure out what the issue is, but as
it is it's hard to figure out what is going wrong in your environment (at least
for me, I'm a "hands on" guy).

Anyways, what I can see are a few things I would never do:

- /usr/local/bin: NEVER (it's against System V, and it won't work for sparse
zones anyway)
- sunfreeware.com / Steve Christensen: the good Mr. Christensen can't build a
proper, System V compliant and clean package to save his life: NEVER

Pity the tremendous amount of time he invested in it. Some people just don't
have what it takes.