Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:
>>> I do not believe that there would be very many happy people in the Solaris
>>> community if we started seeing a number forks, pardon, "distros" of Solaris
>>> increase.
>>>
>>> One of the things we as a community have often communicated is that we
>>> abhore the Linux fragmentation and that we want a unified *platform*, in
>>> stark contrast with the Linux mentality.
>> Really?  I don't abhore the Linux fragmentation, and I don't recall a
>> consensus-community message where we communicated that at all.
>
> I do, various distributions, all incompatibile with each other, no
> standardisation process - people wonder why there are no commercial
> applications and hardly any third party hardware support on Linux -
> thats the elephant in the corner of the room.

That's fine - to each his own.  I just don't think blanket statements
that are made on behalf of the community, when no such statement has
*actually* been made.

And to your point, while I agree with the incompatibility and lack of
standardisation, I would point out that there are a fair number of
commercial applications with varying degrees of Linux distribution
support, and that Linux has arguably more third party hardware support
than Solaris does.

What I think we have going for us (us being the OpenSolaris community)
is that those last two (application support, and hardware support) are
(IMHO) easier to get than it is for Linux to achieve the former.

cheers,
steve

--
stephen lau // [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://whacked.net
opensolaris // solaris kernel development