* MC ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >Others have answered your other questions, but I'd ask you... is Ubuntu
> >NOT doing anything you need done?
> >
> >Changing to another OS, even to another form of Linux, is going to
> >involve relearning a bunch of stuff, and if you're nervous about it or
> >short of time, you'd probably going to start off with the wrong mindset
> >from the beginning.
>
> That sounds like smart advice to me!
>

> > That is one of the reasons I dont like Linux, the distros are different. If
> > you know SuSE then you dont necessarily know Ubuntu. There is no reference
> > Linux.
>
> While that is true, it is an inaccurate way of looking at the problem.
> While the desktop interface of any given distro could look and act
> like anything, reality is much more simple.  In reality, what the user
> sees and uses is either KDE or Gnome.  (to round xfce and friends out
> of the picture)  The spin different distros put on their choice still
> leaves said choice very close to the default configuration.

Which is fine and true if the user is only running things like a web
browser or mail client.  But when they have to admin the system things
go quickly down hill from there.  Even something as simple as updating
the system is different between the linux distributions.  And then if
you really want to use the system for more than just a web kiosk/email
client (like say running apache) there are differences again in how
apache is configured among the distributions.

Cheers,

--
Glenn