The unthinkable has happened: SunOS backwards compatibility has been broken.

Broken:

`uname -a` returns some funky "opensolaris bla bla bla" string instead of the
standard
SunOS hostname 5.11 snv_## i86pc i386 i86pc.

Broken:
root's home directory is in /root; this is a SEVERE ERROR. We're not on Linux,
and this isn't Linux land!

Broken:
all my System V compliant packages are no longer installable, instead `pkgadd`
exits with exit code 1 (fatal error), because /var/sadm/install/contents is
empty.

Broken:
after the installation, the system was rendered unbootable. I had to go into
the BIOS and play Russian roulette (I have four identical drives) to find the
drive "Indiana" was on, and edit GRUB lines with the correct "root (hd3,0,a)"
to be able to boot. No trace of detecting Windows XP professional on my first
drive (this is a documented issue though, but the first one isn't).

Broken:
even after editing /boot/grub/menu.lst, GRUB still "wouldn't take"; changes
weren't visible in the GRUB boot menu.

Broken:
default shell given to root and to myself is /bin/bash; this is a SEVERE ERROR
(the worst of all). Not only do I not want to have to go and modify the system
to remove that bash GARBAGE of a shell, it's unacceptable to have to do that
for every engineering cycle of a new build.

As an added "bonus", we'll have BASH garbage scripts, incompatible with
Bourne-family shells, be encouraged and propagate -- on Solaris. The future
looks just LOVELY in that respect.

If this is the future that awaits us, I shudder at it. If I wanted to run a
*UNIX-like* operating system, I'd go ahead and run that GNU/Linux garbage, not
SunOS!