John Brewer wrote:
>> I installed SXDE 9/2007 about three weeks ago on my
>> Thinkpad T61p. Very impressed, great stuff that would
>> only be made better by a Cisco VPN client ;-)
>>
>> Recently however, I've been able to make the system
>> freeze under fairly heavy load. (Running and testing
>> a Java app on the same machine, more details
>> available if they're useful.)

Does it lock up solid and require a reset, or just run slow?

How about with another OS (assuming the Java application is portable)?

>> I'm a newbie to Solaris but not to Unix, but I'm at a
>> loss as to how I can figure out what's causing the
>> problem. Where are the best places to start looking,
>> or what monitors can I run before putting the system
>> under load to better diagnose this?

If you have a dual core CPU, you could try binding the application to
one core.

It may be worth running something other than a Java application that
loads the machine (building on maybe) and see you get the same problem.

Make sure the machine isn't getting too hot!

> If you mean your using Soalris 10u4 cat /etc/release, for your SXDE 9/2007 ,
> you should then be able to use sign up your userid and passowrd for the GUI
> update manager under the JDS (Gnome desktop) and download and apply all the
> patches, most of which are applied on system shutdown -y -g0 -i6 as a warning.
> then if you still have issues, one of the patches is a kernel patch. submit a
> BUGID/RFE http://www.opensolaris.org/bug/report.jspa along with your example
> java code.

This reply appears to bear little resemblance to the topic of the question!