On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 05:35:23AM -0700, Matt Parnell wrote:
> Hey Guys, its the Noob again. lol
> As you all know I'm an XP guy, attapting to OpenSolairs, so far its been
> great, a couple hickups that you'veset me in the correct directions, but i
> still am loving it.
>
> A Think which I've got used to on XP is the extended Desktop funtion.
> I am using a laptop, 15.4" 1280x800.
> I have connected an external monitor, 19" 1440x900.
> On XP, all i have to do is go to properties, enable the monitor drag it to
> where i want it, click extend and I can use both monitors. All i do i move my
> curse off the screen to the left (i made it to the left) and it's on me other
> monitor.
>
> Does OpenSolaris have an equivelant?
> When my Laptop is connected to the Monitor (as it always is, exept for when
> i'm out with it), OpenSolaris detects it and puts the screen resolution to
> match it: 1440x900. But that also isplays on my laptop LCD the same.
> The same thing is displayed, but because my laptop is set to 1280x800 I'm
> loosing a large block off my laptop screen.
> That doesn't matter aslong as there is an option, or a file that is editable
> for extended monitors.
>
> Can anyone help me out here? I've been browsing the NET for answers for ages,
> and  i can't find anything.
> What do you think?
>
> (Some of you are probably thinking that im wrong to want it ... but it's very
> helpful to split your stuff up and have appications opening on diffent
> screens. I know thats what Work Stations are for, but they don't interface
> with scondary monitors)

Hi, I haven't set this up myself, but I believe the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
should allow you to configure two monitors, their resolutions and where you
want them in relation to each other.

As I say I haven't done multiple monitors myself, but maybe a google search for
"multiple monitors" X11 might turn up some useful information.

HTH

Matt Harrison