* Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-07-24 20:20]:
> Joga wrote:
> > I looked at that url and I see that it is FireFox fetching a simple
> > png file ( 1p.png ) and passing a parameter for the time as well as
> > reporting the User-Agent. So that seems like pretty obvious user base
> > tracking and data collection going on there.

  This ping is in the static HTML home page in the initial install and
  on the LiveCD.  Once you change your home page, it's not called again.
  Shawn already mentioned the LiveBookmark for planet.opensolaris.org's
  RSS feed.

  Neither of these changes is implemented as a change to a Firefox
  binary component.

  You can use the distro constructor and the image packaging utilities
  to construct a distribution of your own selected/filtered set of
  packages or, of course, use one of the other distros (or their
  assembly toolkits), if you need alternatives to 2008.05.

  - Stephen

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://blogs.sun.com/sch/