This is quite strange. I never needed to  fiddled with any refresh rate
settings or anything else. Card on desktop is a 7400 integrated with some 64mb
shared ram. The only thing I did once was update the driver from nvidia site.
It was running fine even before that and I have watched even few HD ones. Not a
skip. This is true even for the old laptop with old at 7800.

do you notice something strange like high cpu utilization ? What audio chip is
in there ? I'm using latest oss drivers for the integrated AC97 chip.

Also do you have  any irq level conflicts reported in dmesg output ? Usually
harmless but may be an issue... Just a wild guess.