Bruno Damour napsal(a):
> Sorry, if there are duplicates... I messed it up
>
> Hello,
> I had some simple tests on my laptop (dual core intel, 1G mem),
> dual-booting winXP Pro SP2 32bit (ntfs) and  nevada b98 64 bit (full zfs).
> The test is (for now) a SQL copy on a medium size csv file (49megs, .
>
> On windows  21000 ms execution time
> on solaris
>  fsync on : 126477 rows affected, 58835 ms execution time.
>  fsync off : 126477 rows affected, 34694 ms execution time.
> Parameters are almost the same on both postgres installations.
>
> Is this expected ?

No. It is not expected. ZFS and database on ZFS needs more configuration magic,
because ZFS does not like much fsync writes. However you have problem also with
disabled fsync which is really strange.

> Looks surprising to me anyway...

For me too. PostgreSQL is slower on Win in general because share memory in
Windows is slower (I heart 30%).

> zfs ? kernel tuning ?

Looks on
http://search.sun.com/search/blogs/index.jsp?qt=postgresql&reslang=en&x=24&y=16&scope=tags
http://blogs.sun.com/jkshah/category/PostgreSQL

Maybe you find useful information there.

And you can also use [EMAIL PROTECTED] for this kind of questions.

        Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql