Paweł Tęcza wrote:
> Hello People,
>
> I've googled a lot and I'm confused, because I still don't know what the
> best place for installation of add-on apps under OpenSolaris is.
>
> For example, I want to compile and install some free software/open
> source like OpenVPN or memtest86+. What prefix should I type for
> configure script? /usr/local? /opt/local? /opt/sfw? /opt/<appname>?
>
> What do you recommend me? Is it something like "OpenSolaris way"?
>
> My best regards,

 From "man filesystem":

      /usr/local

          Not part of the  SVR4-based  Solaris  distribution.  The
          /usr  directory is exclusively for software bundled with
          the Solaris operating  system.  If  needed  for  storing
          machine-local  add-on  software,  create  the  directory
          /opt/local  and  make  /usr/local  a  symbolic  link  to
          /opt/local.  The  /opt  directory  or  filesystem is for
          storing add-on software to the system.

If this is unpackaged software, that's where I'd put it.

--
Shawn Walker