[moving to pkg-discuss]

C. wrote:
Shawn Walker wrote:
As for inconsistencies in the manifest, that's pretty vague. Care to discuss the specifics on pkg-discuss?
Look at the manifest.. You'll see that that some target= are trying to create a symlink against a file which isn't there. (I confirmed against the pkg.osol.o database that it's *supposed* to be in that manifest as

It's possible you'll find some packages with bugs, but those aren't inconsistencies, those are just bugs. Package issues have nothing to do with the packaging system so much as the tool or individual that created them.

If you find packages that have issues, feel free to file bugs at http://defect.opensolaris.org under "packaging".

well) I also noticed you're combining sparc/i386 stuff in the same manifest and beyond two arches I don't really see this being so scalable. (ok. that works for now since osol isn't so portable..)

SPARC/i386 is combined by design. I'm not certain why you believe this isn't scalable. And yes, the number of arches wasn't a concern, because realistically, OpenSolaris will only support two architectures for a long time.

In terms of performance I doubt that it'll be "fast" with 2k packages..

We're already pretty close to 2000 packages (about 1800?).

or "fast" around update time every couple weeks or under various other conditions. If you had read what I wrote clearly I never said anything

Again, "various other conditions", etc. is rather vague. If you have some specific performance concerns, with reproducable steps, we'd like to hear about them. So far though, it sounds more like your concerns are more about design than implementation.

For the benefit of many users, I'm sure they'd appreciate that you file bugs at http://defect.opensolaris.org so that we can resolve these issues.

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker