The mystery deepens....

The account in question is a black hole, that is to say he collects lots of
Suns. He has a Sun Fire 280R, SPARCstation 5 & 10, SB-2000, etc. He has a BSD
firewall of some type.

When he goes to the eLOM address, he gets a totally weird view:

[i]I tried using https from the Sun, using Opera, Firefox, and
Mozilla and got the same results each time -- a vertically-split page
with the top wanting me to log in again, and the bottom totally white
and blank.[/i]

But the BSD box sees the eLOM correctly.

Huh? What disrupts a https page's formatting?