> >> now Kamic (Ubuntu 9.10) under VBox (fully updated,
> >> now to 3.0.10).  Here's a brief summary of the
> >> problems:
> >> installation,
> >> to boot, not even happy face (also failed to boot
> >> from the iso image in a separate VBox vdi),
> happy
> >> face, but only booted into text mode.
> versions
> >> of VBox.
> >> Did you reinstall the guest additions from the
> 3.0.10
> >> Virtual Box guest
> >> additions iso?   Changes in both the OS &
> VirtualBox
> >> require the guest
> >> additions to be updated from previous versions.
> >>
> >> --
> >> -Alan Coopersmith-
> >
> > Thanks Alan.
> >
> > I always installed GA after the first boot, but in
> these cases, since I was unable to boot, no GA was
> installed.
> >
> > What kind of things would you try if you couldn't
> boot OpenSolaris into graphic mode on a bare metal?
>
> If I couldn't boot at all?   I'd bug the kernel guys.
>
> If it boots, but stops at the text mode login prompt,
> I'd check for errors
> in starting gdm or Xorg by running:
>
>       svcs -xv        (especially the gdm service)
>       less /var/log/gdm/:0.log
>       less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> --
> -Alan Coopersmith-
> -           alan.coopersm...@sun.com
> Sun Microsystems, Inc. - X Window System
> em Engineering

I am finally able to boot from and then install the snv_127 iso image
(downloaded from genunix.org) in VBox 3.0.10.  It turns out, I strongly
suspect, the problem is related to a bug in the Ubuntu package of VirtualBox.

I went back to the snv_126 boot environment, and it also successfully boots
into the graphic mode.

Strangely, this bug did not seem to affect (at least the installations of) the
os0906 LiveCD, Solaris 10u8, and most Linux distros.

BTW, the sound is also working now (no sound in os0906)--though only barely.
But I am glad that at least something is working.  :-)