I'm running a mirrored pair of 2 TB SATA drives as my data storage drives on my
home workstation, a Core i7-based machine with 10 GB of RAM. I recently added a
sandforce-based 60 GB SSD (OCZ Vertex 2, NOT the pro version) as an L2ARC to
the single mirrored pair. I'm running B134, with ZFS pool version 22, with
dedup enabled. If I understand correctly, the dedup table should be in the
L2ARC on the SSD, and I should have enough RAM to keep the references to that
table in memory, and that this is therefore a well-performing solution.

My question is what happens at power off. Does the cache device essentially get
cleared, and the machine has to rebuild it when it boots? Or is it persistent.
That is, should performance improve after a little while following a reboot, or
is it always constant once it builds the L2ARC once?

Rather informally, it sometimes seems that the hard drives are a bit slower the
first time they load a program now, vs. when I didn't have the SSD installed as
a cache device on the pool. But this is mainly an impression. Thanks for your
help!