That is not the problem - you can assign whatever netmask you need.

One - did you plumb the interface first?
- ifconfig bge1 plumb

Two - Probably what you really need. There's a new networking stack. I've seen at least half a dozen writeups of how to setup a static IP address. Here's one -
http://wellrounded.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/solaris-11-express-configuring-a-static-ip/

cheers,
Brian