Hi

We use ZFS Storage Appliances to store mailboxes. Our application manages them
in maildir format (at least
almost...)

For our workload (many thousand POP3/IMAP4 concurrent sessions and lots of SMTP
traffic) NFSv4 works just
fine. IIRC correctly, NFSv4 issues many more synchronous writes than NFSv3, so
be sure to have your ZFS intend log
devices on fast SSDs.

Cheers
Mika

17:15
>An: <opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org>
>Betreff: [osol-discuss] NFSv3 versus NFSv4 performance
>
>Dear all
>

>We recently ran a few tests using filebench with different workloads
>such as varmail and others. In some cases,
especially the varmail test
>run, v3 performs much better than v4 with repect to the total number
>of OPs handled per
interval. We destroy the pool and reboot the server
>after each test so there should be no dependency left. Also the

>workload is big enough to fit into main memory for the client as well as
>for the server. Given that we tend to use v3
for a few hundred clients
>but honetsly, I expected v4 to be superior. Both client and server run
>Solaris 11 with a
few tweaks in /etc/system such as the number of connections, ...

>For example pre-allocating 80.000 files takes about
270 seconds in v3 versus 357
>in NFSv4. The total IOs for a mix of create/delete/append/... ops are
>
>v3:
>IO
cpu/op,   4.5ms latency

>v4: