You might want to use my modified version of OpenJPEG v1.4.0.635 (that is
included in the Cool VL Viewer source and built in-tree with the viewer)
instead of any later versions that got utterly broken for SL usage...

My version includes the needed security fixes from v1.5+ as well as some
crash bug fixes. It is also (somewhat) SSE-optimized.
It works beautifully and this, for years, in the Cool VL Viewer.

Henri.