Hi everybody,

I have the feeling a lot of people are using NetBox, and I wonder how
you are all dealing with things that are not supported or not working
the way you want/need.

My personal biggest requirement has been to be able to trace DWDM
connections accross circuits and patch panels. I became a NetBox
maintainer for a while and worked on getting this implemented right in
NetBox 2.8 and 2.9. But now 2.10 has been released, and no path trace
will traverse a circuit anymore. I have no idea why it's been broken
again, and to be honest I don't have the energy to go back and fix it
*again*. Jeremy (NetBox "manager") just told me to file a feature
request to restore the broken functionality, which is not very helpful.

I was wondering: how do other NetBox users deal with this? Maintain
your own fork (there seem to be MANY forks on GitHub), stick with a
version that works, ...?

I know there are people already looking to do a LibreNMS-style fork of
NetBox and continue development under more community-friendly
management. Would people be interested in something like that? Because
that's definitely the style that I want to contribute to :)

Cheers,
Sander