On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 06:17:21PM +0100, Ulf Möller wrote:

> With the following patch OpenSSL can be used on the 386 processor.
>
> I am not sure how it should be integrated in OpenSSL. The patch makes
> SHA-1 roughly 10% slower on a Pentium.
>
> I suspect that for most people performance on modern processors is
> more important. On the other hand, I don't want my software to dump
> core on 386 processors.
>
> Comments?

Compile both versions into the binaries and use a static variable to
decide which version should be used (0 = not initialised, 1 = 386, 2 =
486+, 3+ = reserved for future use).  The only penalty for Pentium
users would be slightly longer object code and the time for a table
lookup (and, on the first call, time for initialisation of the index
variable).  The advantage for Pentium users is that they can take
their old 386's and use them as standalone CA hosts.