Al Smith reports that RSA fails on IRIX. He does not use RSAREF, nor
any assembler bignum code.

This looks like a serious problem. Any ideas what may go wrong there?
I'm forwarding Al's messages with his permission.

From: Al Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 0.9.2b problems on irix.

Ulf Moeller wrote:

> > > Are you using RSAREF?
> >
> > i'm afraid not.
>
> Could you please run "make test" on the latest snapshot and mail me the
> result? The new rsa_oaep_test prints more output that will hopefully
> allow me to locate the problem.

no problem. i fetched the openssl-SNAP-19990411.tar.gz snapshot.

./Configure irix-cc
<change BN_ASM in the Makefile to point to bn_asm.o>
make
make rehash
make test

the following output was seen from rsa_oaep_test:

        ./rsa_oaep_test
PKCS#1 v1.5 encryption failed!
OAEP encryption failed!
PKCS#1 v1.5 encryption failed!
OAEP encryption failed!
PKCS#1 v1.5 encryption failed!
OAEP encryption failed!

regards,

-al.

From: Al Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I believe this is a problem in the assembler code to the bignum library.
> Can you verify that it works when you configure with the option no-asm?

am i correct in assuming that "./Configure no-asm irix-cc" replaces
BN_ASM=asm/*.o with BN_ASM=bn_asm.o inside the top-level makefile ?

i have already been doing this by hand after running ./Configure irix-cc.
if i leave the BN_ASM line intact (ie BN_ASM=asm/mips1.o) then building the
"openssl" binary fails with undefined symbols:

bn_div_words, bn_sub_words, bn_mul_comba4, bn_mul_comba8, bn_sqr_comba4 and
bn_sqr_comba8 are all undefined with BN_ASM=asm/mips1.o. with
BN_ASM=asm/mips3.o the symbols are again undefined. i can only get
"openssl" to compile at all by setting BN_ASM=bn_asm.o.

regards,

-al.