On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 03:50:01PM +0400, CyberPsychotic wrote:

> [openssl people: sorry for crosspost, I just hope you could have something
> to add to our discussion. We basically talk about the problem with compiling
> openssl+apache+mod_perl. Since crypto/des/des.h file defines _ as ks._ (if
> my memory doesn't fail) and perl's config.h file uses `_' symbol for ansi
> prototypes definition, which I felt was rather non-standard (I suggested
> __P instead)]

This definition does no longer exist in OpenSSL.  Please get a recent
snapshot from <URL://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot;type=d> (OpenSSL 0.9.4
is going to be released soon, so the codebase is quite stable now --
and if there are any problems with the current code, they'll hopefully
be found before the new version is released).

>                         What kind of product has an include file that it intends
> ~~ to be used by others define '_' to 'x._' or whatever it was?

> :-) actually I haven't figured out if openssl needed that at all. At least I
> grepped source with find and didn't find any referense on `_' definition.
> Maybe DES requires this name to be defined(or maybe I missed something)?

That definition existed for compatibility with the DES implementation
in Kerberos (the SSLeay/OpenSSL libraries use a union that contains a
struct where Kerberos has directly the struct with that _ member).

There are other programs too that use some _ macro -- as I wrote
in an earlier message,

< For some reason, everyone thinks that noone else would be so stupid as
< to call a macro _, and this results in lots of conflicts when you're
< trying to mix software of different origin.