You wrote:

> I tried compiling openssl 0.9.3a. I got a error doing the 'make'. I did try
> doing the config with 'no-asm' option, but this did not make a difference. I
> have encluded the error and config -t as requested.

> gcc -I.. -I../../include -DTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -m486 -Wall
>-DL_ENDIAN  -c  sha_dgst.c
> Assembler: sha_dgst.c
>         aline 270       : Illegal mnemonic
>         aline 270       : syntax error
[...]
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `sha_dgst.o'

Please get a current snapshot from <URL:ftp://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot;type=d>.
Some files in 0.9.3a tried to use assembler code even when configured
for no-asm, but this should be fixed by now.

(Note that the current version, which will very soon become 0.9.4, has
some API changes: password callbacks now have an additional void *
argument, because previously there was no clean way for applications
to pass arbitrary data to their callbacks -- if the software that you
want to use OpenSSL with has not yet been updated for this, you will
have to add a NULL argument to some function calls and you will have
to add the void * parameter to the prototypes and definitions of the
callback functions.)