I have a few problems to report with openssl 0.9.4. Please note that
I'm not reporting in order to criticize your work, which I consider
wonderful and extremely useful, or to attempt to get free support,
but only because the docs asks me to do so.

config -t:

Operating system: sun4u-sun-solaris2
WARNING! Do consider upgrading to gcc-2.8 or later.
Configuring for solaris-sparcv9-gcc27
/bin/perl ./Configure solaris-sparcv9-gcc27

GCC is 2.7.2.1.

The first problem is that in crypto/md5/Makefile, line 80, there
appears to be a missing "a", so that the file is sm/... instead of
asm/..., a very trivial thing.
With that fix make succeeds, but it fails in "make test":

... (lots of passed tests deleted)
test BN_mod
960  tests done
1024  tests done
error
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `test_bn'
Current working directory /users/labs/openssl-0.9.4/test
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `tests'

openssl version -a:

OpenSSL 0.9.4 09 Aug 1999
built on: Tue Nov  2 11:13:23 MET 1999
platform: solaris-sparcv9-gcc27
idea(int) blowf
ish(ptr)
compiler: gcc -DTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -mv8 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -
Wall -DB_END
IAN -DBN_DIV2W -DULTRASPARC -DMD5_ASM

I retried with -O2 instead of -O3 in CFLAGS, and now it worked, and
completed all test.

In my humble understanding, this is a gcc problem, that you might
want to work around by having "config" define -O2 instead of -O3 when
it sees this gcc version.

Hope this helps,

Michele Bergonzoni

---
Ing. Michele Bergonzoni - Laboratori Fondazione Guglielmo Marconi
info and PGP key at http://www.labs.it/bergonz/
Phone:+39-051-6781926 Fax:+39-051-846479 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Telecommunications consultants, Microwave systems & circuits development.