[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Actually, this doesn't work. This is a question I've been wanting an answer to for a
>while: Whenever you create a CSR w/ a tool like RSA's (or with a  server like
>Netscape that uses RSA's code), the private key is generated as a DER encoded PKCS8
>file of 670 bytes (for a 1024 bit RSA key). But you can't ever seem to use this w/
>the OpenSSL code (at least as far as I've been able to learn).
>
> The code below might work (if it included the x509 option) for a cert, but never for
>a key. I've tried openssl pkcs8 ... and all its flavors but never found anything to
>work. Anyone got the solution?

Try this for an unencrypted PKCS#8 RSA key:

openssl pkcs8 -inform DER -nocrypt -in p8key.der -out key.pem

if this doesn't work and you can create a sample private key (nothing
important!) then please mail me a copy and I'll look into it.

Failing that try doing:

openssl asn1parse -inform DER -in p8key.der

and posting the result.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/